Champions League quarter-finals: All you need to know

Photo of author

By admin

It is seven years since Bayern Munich won the European Cup for a fifth time – can anyone stop them making it six?
Champions League quarter-finals
Dates: 12-15 August Coverage: Live commentary of Barcelona v Bayern Munich and Manchester City v Lyon on BBC Radio 5 Live. Live text commentary on the BBC Sport website.

And then there were eight.

Four hundred and 14 days after the 2019-20 Champions League season began with Feronikeli of Kosovo beating Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar in the preliminary qualifying round, we are down to a whirlwind knockout phase in 12 days in Lisbon to crown the new champions of Europe.

We will have a new king of Europe too – holders Liverpool were knocked out by Atletico Madrid in March – as Manchester City carry the torch for the Premier League.

But who’s left? Who are the favourites? And why is it all in Lisbon?

One city, two grounds

The Champions League – like all elite football in Europe – was suspended in March because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Uefa decided in June that Lisbon – with the infrastructure and two stadiums required to host eight teams – would stage all remaining fixtures from the quarter-finals onwards.

All ties will be one match, rather than over two legs, and take place at either Sporting’s Estadio Jose Alvalade or Benfica’s Estadio da Luz. The latter venue will host the final, which has been moved from Istanbul.

The schedule
Date Fixture Venue Kick-off
12 Aug Atalanta v Paris St-Germain Estadio da Luz, Lisbon 20:00 BST
13 Aug RB Leipzig v Atletico Madrid Estadio Jose Alvalade, Lisbon 20:00 BST
14 Aug Barcelona v Bayern Munich Estadio da Luz, Lisbon 20:00 BST
15 Aug Man City v Lyon Estadio Jose Alvalade, Lisbon 20:00 BST
18 Aug Semi-final 1 Estadio da Luz, Lisbon 20:00 BST
19 Aug Semi-final 2 Estadio Jose Alvalade, Lisbon 20:00 BST
23 Aug Final Estadio da Luz, Lisbon 20:00 BST

Istanbul, originally appointed to stage the 2020 final, will now host the 2021 final.

The big two face off

There’s no shortage of quality in the eight teams left in the competition – but there is a lack of pedigree in the Champions League itself.

Only two of the remaining sides have won the European Cup, and Bayern Munich and Barcelona, both five-time winners, face each other in the pick of the quarters on Friday.

Atletico Madrid have reached the final twice in the past seven years, but a semi-final is the best campaign for Paris St-Germain, Manchester City and Lyon.

RB Leipzig had never made it past the group stage before this year, while Atalanta are in their first season in the Champions League.

Let’s look at each tie.

Atalanta v Paris St-Germain (Weds 12 August)

47.03% chance v 52.97% chance of progress according to Euro Club Index