Over 200 people who were injured as a result of protests in Belarus are in hospitals. This was announced on Tuesday, August 11, by the press service of the country’s Ministry of Health.
“In the last two days after unauthorized street actions, citizens with various injuries have addressed the ambulance service and hospitals. At the moment, a little more than 200 people are being treated in hospitals of the republic, ”says a message published on the official Telegram channel.
The Ministry of Health added that in most cases the injuries were mild, but several patients required surgery. The department noted that all the victims of the protest actions received all the necessary assistance.
Earlier that day, Elizabeth Throssell, a spokeswoman for the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, said the organization was concerned about the protests in Belarus and called on the authorities to ensure that the rights to freedom of speech and peaceful assembly were fully respected.
The UN also expressed concern about the use of rubber bullets, electroshock grenades, water cannons by security forces during the dispersal of peaceful demonstrators. Throssell added that restrictions on internet access, which last for three days, have led to unjustified restrictions on access to information and freedom of the media.
On August 9, presidential elections were held in Belarus. According to the latest data from the Central Election Commission, the incumbent head of state Alexander Lukashenko won 80.08% of the vote, opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya was supported by 10.09% of voters. Tikhanovskaya’s headquarters did not recognize the results of the vote.
After the announcement of the preliminary results, unauthorized protests began in Minsk and other cities of Belarus, which resumed in the evening of August 10. Both civilians and security officials suffered. One person was killed.