Minsk intends to discuss with Western countries the feasibility of introducing economic sanctions against the republic, as well as the question of whether it is worth taking such measures. This was stated in an interview to the Belarus 1 TV channel by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Belarus Vladimir Makei, which was published on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country.
The minister noted that in his understanding, calls for economic sanctions on the part of the Belarusian opposition “are not just a great stupidity, but a great danger to the statehood of Belarus as a whole.” He also added that everyone who considers such measures a blessing is deeply mistaken.
“Of course, we will talk with our Western partners in this regard. It seems to me that there is more understanding there as to whether it is worth taking such measures – the introduction of economic sanctions against Belarus, ”Makei said.
Earlier in the same interview, Makei said that Belarus will include representatives of the EU leadership in its extended sanctions lists.
In early October, the EU imposed sanctions against 40 Belarusian officials. On November 6, Brussels applied restrictions against the President of the Republic Alexander Lukashenko and 14 other Belarusian officials. The restrictions include an asset freeze and travel ban. The US supported this measure. In addition, the Canadian government imposed sanctions against 13 Belarusian officials.
The European Union did not recognize the results of the presidential elections in Belarus, which took place on August 9. According to the CEC, Lukashenka won for the sixth time in a row. Since that day, mass protests have not stopped in the republic.
On November 17, it became known that Belarus added a mirror image to its reciprocal sanctions list for each of the EU countries and Canada. Minsk recommended that high-ranking officials from the EU countries take into account the sanctions of Belarus when planning their trips.