Belarus is ready for a constructive dialogue with foreign partners and can provide evidence of foreign interference in the current situation in the country. This is stated on Tuesday, August 11, in a statement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the republic, published on its website.
Minsk offered to objectively understand what was happening in the country and noted that it was ready for a dialogue with all foreign partners. “We are ready to present concrete irrefutable facts that reveal the background of the current events, including about interference from abroad,” the Belarusian Foreign Ministry said.
The ministry stressed the unacceptability of how quickly some European officials made the most important political statements for Belarus.
“Some high-profile conclusions at the highest and high levels are based on one-sided information and outright lies,” the Foreign Ministry added.
As the EU said earlier on Tuesday, the presidential elections in Belarus were neither free nor fair, and the EU is exploring the possibility of imposing sanctions against those responsible for police violence.
On August 9, presidential elections were held in Belarus, the incumbent head of state Alexander Lukashenko won 80.08% of the vote, oppositionist Svetlana Tikhanovskaya was supported by 10.09% of voters. Tikhanovskaya’s headquarters did not recognize the results of the vote.
After the announcement of the preliminary results, unauthorized protests began in Minsk and other cities of Belarus, which resumed in the evening of August 10. Both civilians and security officials suffered, one person died.
Videos of clashes between citizens and law enforcement officers are circulating online.