The Znak.com journalist Nikita Telizhenko, detained in Minsk, said that he was already at large, while he was banned from entering Belarus for five years, RIA Novosti reports.
According to the journalist, no charges were brought against him.
“The trial was supposed to take place tomorrow, but thanks to the consular staff, we managed to decide early. Expulsion, I will have an expulsion, yes, with a ban (on entry – Ed.) For five years, ”Telizhenko said.
It is noted that he is now together with the previously released RIA Novosti photojournalist Ilya Pitalev. The latter also said that the Belarusian authorities had blocked his entry into the country for five years.
“We put a beautiful stamp in the Russian passport (about a ban on entry to Belarus for 5 years. – Ed.). Well, it’s a big loss, ”said the photojournalist.
In turn, Maria Plyusnina, editor-in-chief of Znak.com, said that Telizhenko was already being transported to Russia and would soon be crossing the border.
Earlier it was reported about the detention of several Russian journalists covering the protests after the presidential elections in Belarus. Among them were WarGonzo project manager and REN TV freelance journalist Semyon Pegov, Daily Storm employees Anton Starkov and Dmitry Lasenko, RIA Novosti photojournalist Ilya Pitalev, Meduza journalist Maxim Solopov, RT correspondent Konstantin Pridybailo, as well as correspondents of the Dozhd TV channel and RT stringers working with video agency Ruptly.
On August 9, presidential elections were held in Belarus. According to the latest data from the Central Election Commission, the incumbent head of state Alexander Lukashenko won 80.08% of the vote, opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya was supported by 10.09% of voters. Tikhanovskaya’s headquarters did not recognize the results of the vote.
After the announcement of the preliminary results, unauthorized protests began in Minsk and other cities of Belarus, which resumed in the evening of August 10. Both civilians and security forces suffered, one person died.