The Pentagon called the timing of the start of the redeployment of US troops in Europe

Photo of author

By admin

The United States will begin redeploying its troops from the FRG to other European countries within a few weeks. This was announced on Wednesday, July 29, by the head of the Pentagon, Mark Esper.

“The redeployment process will begin within weeks,” TASS quotes him. “This will require diplomatic efforts. We maintain close ties with the State Department. “

Esper also said that the US redeployment measures are necessary for the NATO alliance to “contain Russia.” At the same time, he noted that the United States does not currently plan to transfer part of its military personnel from Germany to the Asia-Pacific region.

Earlier on the same day, Esper announced the withdrawal of 11,900 American troops from Germany.

About 6.4 thousand of them will return to their homeland, and 5.6 thousand will be relocated to other European countries. The US Harrow Secretary noted that in the future, Washington may deploy additional military forces in Poland and the Baltic countries. The withdrawal of troops from Germany will take several weeks, he said.

The Pentagon’s plans to withdraw about 12,000 troops from Germany and relocate half of them to Europe were reported by Reuters earlier Wednesday, citing representatives of the American administration. It was reported that it will take several years for the full implementation of the US plans.

In turn, the Wall Street Journal, citing sources, reported that the US military would be deployed to Italy and Belgium, where the headquarters of the US European Command would be located.

US President Donald Trump decided in early June to reduce the number of American troops in Germany due to the fact that Berlin allegedly does not pay enough for the deployment of the military.

At the same time, the Democrats submitted a bill to Congress calling to prevent the withdrawal of the military from Europe, as this would allegedly expose the Europeans to a threat from the Russian Federation.

The Russian Embassy in Washington, in turn, called on the United States to stop intimidating Americans and Europeans with the non-existent “Russian threat.”

Leave a Comment