Russian servicemen who took part in large-scale military exercises on the territory of the Republic of Crimea began to return to their permanent locations.
“On April 23, the troops (forces) of the Southern Military District and the Airborne Forces, involved in the surprise check, proceeded to return to their permanent deployment points,” the press service of the Russian Defense Ministry said.
According to Gazeta.ru, on the morning of April 23, the head of the department, Sergei Shoigu, decided to complete a surprise check of troops in the Southern and Western military districts. The minister announced the beginning of the return of troops to the points of permanent deployment.
On April 13, Shoigu said that, in accordance with the plan for the training of the Russian armed forces, 4048 exercises of various scales will be held in the military command bodies during April. On April 22, the minister announced the completion of verification activities in the Southern and Western military districts, stating that the goals had been achieved.
The head of the Ministry of Defense also noted that the Russian Armed Forces must be ready to respond quickly in case of “unfavorable development” of the situation in connection with NATO exercises Defender Europe.
In this regard, Shoigu instructed the commanders of the military districts to plan in detail the return of troops to the points of permanent deployment, while ensuring that the requirements of security measures are met.