Dorian Strubing, 2, got stuck up to his neck in the wooden barrel on Saturday. To keep him calm, his family gave him a teddy bear, which he held throughout the ordeal.
Sumner County Emergency workers used X-rays to determine the positioning of the boy’s hips, legs and feet before they started working to free the boy, WKRN-TV reported.
Hospital staff used a power saw to cut some wood from the bottom of the barrel and screwdrivers to chip away at the top opening so Strubing could slip free. Workers pulled Strubing free once his legs were straightened.
“It was certainly nerve-wracking, but now that he’s safe we all are getting a good laugh from it,” Kelly Strubing, Dorian’s mother, said.
Dorian was not injured during the incident, his mother said.
The emergency workers who helped free Dorian signed the barrel as a reminder of Dorian’s first-ever trip to the emergency room.
Dorian celebrated his freedom with a Popsicle, according to KTLA 5.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.