Psychology has a close relationship with sexual health both directly and indirectly. Anxiety and depression are two very well-known psychological problems that also affect the physical health of men. The is also a greater incidence of psychological stress-related sexual dysfunctions in men. Evidence shows that 10 to 20% of psychological problems can cause erection failure in men, no matter what the age is.
Erectile dysfunction is a sexual health problem in men, most commonly seen in older individuals but can also encounter at a young age. Men with erectile dysfunction have a problem achieving a healthy erection in response to a sexual stimulus, however, all erection failures do not fall into the category of erectile dysfunction. A frequent, and persistent failure to obtain an erection is defined as erectile dysfunction.
Table Of Contents
Psychological risk factors for erectile dysfunction:
Besides the commonly known anxiety and depression, other conditions can lead to a failed erection in men. To understand how each condition leads to erectile dysfunction you need to understand the fact that a normal erection involves smooth muscle relaxation, vasodilation, and increased blood flow to the penile muscle. If these events are disturbed by any means, the result is a failed erection.
- Stress: Stress is one factor that leads to erectile dysfunction in younger men. In daily life, many stressors could lead to the production of stress hormones and reduce the perception of pleasure in one’s life. This hormonal imbalance puts males at a higher risk of sexual dysfunctions.
- Depression: Depression is a silent killer and might go undiagnosed for years. As depression increases the ability to get aroused decreases. Moreover, muscle relaxation does not occur reducing circulation to the genitals because of sympathetic activation of the fight or flight mode. These events precipitated a lack of interest in intimacy and erection.
- Anxiety: Generalized anxiety is commonly experienced by men of all ages. Specifically, the young adults remain anxious for more than half of the day. It is also seen that anxiety gives rise to hypertension and if not resolved can alter attentiveness in an individual. Staying constantly anxious does not allow men to focus on erection even if a sexual stimulus is present.
- Guilt: Guilt of any kind lowers the self-esteem of men very easily and does not keep the perception of any pleasurable activity. This guilt could be due to a previous incident of failed erection or a feeling of inferiority. With all the guilt and pressure in mind, obtaining or maintaining a healthy erection becomes impossible.
- Pornography: The stigma of pornography is more hazardous than it look, as it set unrealistic standards of intimacy in a person’s mind and inhibits the normal hormonal influence necessary for an erection.
Other risk factors:
Risk factors like diabetes, obesity, old age, heart problems, chronic kidney diseases, hormonal imbalances, neurological compromise, or any other systemic or traumatic condition can lead to erectile dysfunction. Medication overuse or side effects can also precipitate the condition, with greater responsibility thrown on drug abuse, addictions, and smoking.
Treatment for erectile dysfunction:
- Medical management: The medical treatment for erectile dysfunction begins with treating the underlying cause first. Besides that, a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase type-5 (PDE-5) inhibitors is specifically developed to treat erectile dysfunction. Avanafil is a potent PDE-5 inhibitor drug, sold under the brand names Stendra or Spedra commonly. The function of Avanafilis to improve the blood flow to the penile musculature and improve erection. You can buy Avanafil Australia and from stores. To buy online visit this website.
- Psychological management: If erectile dysfunction is due to psychological problems then there is a need of resolving the underlying stressors before going to medical treatment. Psychological management includes counseling, stress management techniques, deep breathing exercises, and focus improvement along with meditation and yoga.