When expecting a child, one of the most joyous things is to put together the nursery. While superficial things like colour, theme, toys, etc., are all for the happiness of the parents-to-be, safety and comfort are important for the baby. While it is nice that you have to go with the cutest crib with the perfect shade, what about the baby crib mattress? You may feel that a mattress is a mattress and that anything works. There are many features to consider when choosing it that can potentially help in keeping the baby safe and comfortable. When buying a mattress, there is no better place than Wakefit. But to know how to choose from the many options, read on.
Factors to Consider when Choosing a Baby Crib Mattress
There are many considerations to make when choosing a baby crib mattress. Here are some of them:
Types of Mattresses
There are a few basic types of crib mattresses:
- Innerspring mattresses: These are the traditional type of mattresses that has steel coils and springs inside. These make the bed sturdy and resilient. On top of these coils, there are many layers of cushioning made from materials like foam, cotton, or polyester. The innerspring mattress with a higher coil count is more pricey and heavy, making changing crib sheets difficult.
- Foam mattresses: These are made of polyurethane and are durable and lightweight. It is also less expensive compared to innerspring, making it a good choice for a baby mattress. However, when making the purchase, ensure that it is resilient and also test the duration it takes to regain shape. A mattress that has high density is firmer, making it heavy.
- Double-sided mattress: There are a few double-sided mattresses. They have a soft side and a firm side. The firmer side is for infants and the softer side for toddlers who can use it as a crib or as a bed.
A crib mattress of standard size should not be more than six inches thick. It should be 51.25 inches long and 27.25 inches wide. If the mattress you purchase has these dimensions, it safely fits into a full-size crib. However, when you purchase a crib mattress, check the crib measurements so that both are in sync. Some non-standard crib sizes are also available in the market for which the mattress should be sold together with the crib. When measuring the mattress size for your baby crib, there should not be a gap of more than a ½ inch at the sides when the mattress is placed in the centre.
Safety is an important aspect to factor in when making a baby crib or a mattress. The dimensions of the cribs should follow the standards and regulations so that there are no accidents. When the baby mattress for the crib follows the safety precautions, suffocation, entrapment, and other such accidents become less probable. Choose a mattress that fits into the crib perfectly, and you should not use it unless it is designed specifically for the crib. Avoid adding a crib mattress cover or a foam topper that is not made for the crib mattress.
You may not want to cut corners when it comes to your baby cot mattress, but you don’t have to spend the entire budget of your nursery on it. A mattress can range from a minimum of Rs 500 to a maximum of Rs 10,000+. While the price is not the criteria but the quality. If the mattress has special features like hypoallergenic and is made with organic materials, it comes with a higher tag. It is tempting to buy a used crib and mattress, but it is best to avoid it. That is because there is no guarantee on how it was stored or whether it was spoiled, etc. Buying a new soft mattress for baby is safer.
Other Factors to Consider
- Firmness: As per experts, a firmer mattress is best for babies than softer ones. Super soft sleeping surface can increase the risk of suffocation for infants. So the firmer the mattress, the better it is for your baby. To test the right firmness, press on the centre and the edges of the mattress. On release, if it snaps back right away, it is the right firmness.
- Waterproof: Buying a waterproof crib mattress makes the most sense as it is more prone to soiling. It should have a polyethene or vinyl surface to make them resistant to mould and also to make them waterproof. If you choose any other surface, it is best to have a waterproof cover for safety.
- Depth: The depth of the mattress does not translate to firmness. Spring mattress tends to be thicker, whereas foam mattresses are slightly thicker. So it is best to have a thinner depth as it translates to less weight which makes changing sheets easy.
The crib mattress is an important selection in your nursery, as your newborn sleeps over 20 hours a day on it. So spend some time choosing the right one so that it becomes a safe and supportive space for your kid to have a sound sleep.