Small businesses loans are now available in several forms; be it long-term, short-term, traditional, or other lenders. But how helpful are these loans? If you think about the success rates of businesses in most countries, it lies between 15 to 20%.To bring the point home, only 15% of millions of small businesses succeed. In developing countries, it’s around 2%. Why this range? What do developed countries do differently?
Take the US for instance, several entities just focus on funding small businesses. This ranges from Y combinatory to Angel investors. But just how do these lending entities work because someone somewhere could be stacked, wondering where to turn to scale his businesses. Examine strategies used by your competitors. Do they use social media marketing; buy Instagram followers. This plays a huge element in exposing you since your followers comment that you learn. Here, we take a deep dive into the steps and procedures you want to follow to secure business loans.
Table Of Contents
1. Take an inventory of the types of loans available
There are several kinds of loans. Here are some examples of these loans
- PPP loans. These are Paycheck Protection Program loans which were opened in January 2021. Here, qualified businesses are given the loan which is to be paid after the specific period with some interest. This is the caveat though. If the business manages and uses the proceeds effectively, the loan is forgiven. Is this even a loan? This is more than an investor. Where can you get such an investor who doesn’t take any stakes in the company? This is a platform like no other.
- SBA disaster loans. This is usually offered to businesses that have suffered from disasters such as the Covid-19 pandemic. Small businesses that have suffered economic injuries due to pandemics are considered. These loans can be used as working capital or even as operating capital. They have an interest rate of 3%. Just imagine. Where can you get the search interest rate? Remember, these loans are payable after 30 years. Just imagine, you borrow a loan that the business pays while celebrating its 30th anniversary. This is immeasurably advantageous.
- Small business term loans. These types of loans have a set amount that businesses can borrow. The interest is expected after six months while the principal is payable after 3 years. Moreover, there is an option of fixed or variable interest rates. For small businesses in need of capital for growth, this is the right place to be.
2. Anticipate how lenders will critique your business profile
Just how many loan application details do lenders receive daily? What differentiates those who are awarded the loans from those who are not? Before applying for the loan, it’s very important to examine your credit and risk profile. This is what lenders look for. You could be bogging yourself down, writing down long letters just to show the lenders how viable your idea is. But do they go through all those scripts? Below are the important facets to accentuate your loan application.
- Outstanding loans and cash flow. Examining these allows lenders to evaluate whether your cash flow will suffice to pay back the loan within the agreed period. Moreover, they also consider other expenditures you incur.
- Business asset. Do you have collateral security? Lenders will scrutinize your assets just to see whether your current assets are worth the amount just in case you fail to pay. They usually look at the current assets.
3. Establish the amount you want and how the business will use the proceeds
Lenders are interested in knowing whether the amount borrowed is well used. They want to know whether you will use it for equipment or capital expenditure. They want to know the expenses incurred when hiring and if the loan will be used to pay part of such expenses. How about new research and technology? How will you enhance it? Do you plan to expand the business to other business lines and how will such expenses be accounted for? Have you heard of businesses going into default under the loan? You don’t want that, right? Borrow extra cash to caution you just in case of such eventualities.
4. Analyze the key terms of the proposed loans
Different businesses need different types of loans. Before downing on one, have several business loan options and compare their key terms. Here are some key terms that the lender can propose
The interest rate of the loan and its variability over the period. This usually depends on the type of loan and other related benchmarks. Are you comfortable with the avenues of payment? Are there origination fees? Some loans have other fees such as administration fees, loan processing fees, and underwriting fees. You want to know if these are applicable in your case.
There are myriad choices of business loans. By knowing the type of loan necessary for your business, you place yourself at a better chance of securing the loan. Familiarize yourself with these terms to steer your business to the next level by getting financiers.