Watermelon, also called Citrullus vulgaris or natural Viagra is a juicy and refreshing fruit. It contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which promote skin health. It has essential compounds — citrulline and lycopene, that help skin heal from various skin conditions.
To know the various skin conditions that can be healed using watermelon, continue reading!
Soothes sunburn and rashes
Table Of Contents
- 1 Soothes sunburn and rashes
- 2 Firms dull skin
- 3 Boosts skin hydration
- 4 Exfoliates dead skin
- 5 Anti-Ager for aging skin
- 6 Reduces Inflammation
- 7 Toner for hyperpigmented skin
- 8 Treats Acne
- 9 Controls Sebum Production
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 FAQs
Overexposure to sunlight causes skin redness, inflammation, and sunburn. Watermelon, a naturally moisturizing fruit provides moisture and alleviates these symptoms when applied to the skin.
How to use watermelon for sunburn and rashes?
Get watermelon benefits for the skin by:
- Blending a cup of watermelon flesh with a cup of cucumber. Add the mixture to a muslin cloth and fold it. Squeeze the mixture, allowing cloth to soak in the moisture. Now place moist cloth on the affected skin for 25 minutes.
- Make a watermelon-rosewater paste by grinding two things together and apply it to the inflamed skin. The natural antioxidant properties of both products will instantly soothe the skin.
- Cut a watermelon slice consisting of red flesh and green rind, and refrigerate for 20-25 minutes. Apply this cold watermelon slice on the burnt skin and get immediate relief.
However, watermelon doesn’t provide effective treatment for severe sunburn. It is always recommended to get an immediate consultation with a dermatologist.
Firms dull skin
Antioxidant-rich watermelon contains lycopene and vitamin C that help fight free radical damage, promoting skin elasticity. Vitamin C in melon also increases collagen production, making dull skin firm and radiant.
How to use watermelon for firm skin?
Use watermelon on dull skin by:
- Freezing the mixture of coffee and watermelon juice.
- Now massage these ice cubes on dull skin.
Watermelon will reduce inflammation and caffeine will promote microcirculation, making skin firm and healthy.
Boosts skin hydration
Watermelon boosts skin hydration in several ways:
- Viagra contains 93% water, which leads to bright, firm, and healthy skin.
- Melon flesh contains proteins, fatty acids, and ceramides which help lock skin’s moisture.
- Citrullus vulgaris has malic acid, which is easily absorbed by the skin to lock moisture.
How to use watermelon for boosting hydration?
Eating melon will also hydrate flaky skin, improving its appearance. Use watermelon for dry skin by:
- Grinding the watermelon flesh and freezing it. Use watermelon ice cubes on your flaky dry skin.
- You can blend watermelon flesh with cucumber or mint for drinking purposes.
Exfoliates dead skin
The grainy particles of watermelon help exfoliate dead skin cells. While exfoliating, these particles hydrate the skin, improving its appearance.
How to use watermelon for exfoliating skin?
For exfoliating dead skin, benefit from watermelon using this skin care:
- Mash the watermelon with a fork and add rice powder or oatmeal to it
- Apply this paste to scrub off dead skin cells from the face, neck, hands, and feet.
Anti-Ager for aging skin
Viagra’s anti-aging properties reduce fine lines and wrinkles, promoting skin elasticity. Vitamins and antioxidants in watermelon help fight free radical damage to the skin due to aging. It also aids skin restore lost shine due to aging.
How to use watermelon as an anti-ager?
To be benefitted from the anti-aging effects of watermelon, make a skin pack as follows:
- Make a paste of cucumber, papaya, oatmeal, and watermelon by blending them. All the ingredients are known for anti-aging properties.
- Apply this mixture to your face for 20 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
The anti-inflammatory properties of watermelon reduce inflammatory skin conditions caused by skin conditions — acne, eczema, dermatitis, or psoriasis. It also soothes skin redness, irritation, and sunburn.
How to use watermelon for inflammatory skin?
You can use watermelon for skin inflammation as follows:
- Mash watermelon flesh and add yogurt or honey to it.
- Apply this paste on the inflamed skin for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with cool water.
Toner for hyperpigmented skin
Vitamin C and antioxidants in watermelon help prevent skin from free radical damage and hyperpigmentation. It effectively treats hyperpigmentation caused by sun exposure, pollution, or hormonal imbalance.
How to use watermelon for skin toning?
You can use watermelon for hyperpigmented skin by making a paste as:
- Using a fork, mash a slice of watermelon flesh and add yogurt to it.
- Apply this paste on hyperpigmented skin for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash the skin pack using warm water if you have open pores.
In this skin pack, yogurt provides moisture to the hyperpigmented skin, which decreases hyperpigmentation.
Vitamin C and nitric acid in watermelon help diminish the growth of acne-causing bacteria including Propionibacterium acnes, Staphylococcus epidermidis, and Corynebacterium acnes. The soothing properties of lycopene in watermelon flesh alleviate itchiness caused by acne.
How to use watermelon for treating acne?
Treat your acne with this watermelon skin paste:
- Mix a spoonful of watermelon extract with mashed banana.
- Apply this paste for 25-30 minutes on acne-prone skin.
- Wash off the paste with cool water and dry skin using clean towel.
If you’re experiencing severe acne, using watermelon will not be effective. You should consult an acne specialist.
Controls Sebum Production
Vitamin A-enriched watermelon gets absorbed into the sebaceous glands of the skin. In sebaceous glands, watermelon extract balances oil production. Producing balanced oils reduces skin greasiness and lowers the chances of acne breakout.
How to use watermelon for controlling sebum production?
Control sebum production and reduce acne breakouts on your skin with this skin pack recipe:
- Grind watermelon flesh with chickpea flour and add a spoonful of rosewater.
- Add turmeric powder and apply the mixture for 25-30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm or cool water per your desire.
Watermelon promotes skin health by producing healthy skin cells. It reduces inflammatory skin conditions — acne, eczema, and sunburn. Drinking watermelon juice also hydrates skin, improving complexion and health.
- Is watermelon good for all skin types?
Being a natural fruit, watermelon works with all skin types. Vitamins, minerals, and proteins in watermelon work for rough, smooth, acne-prone, and sensitive skin.
- Does watermelon juice alleviate dark spots?
Watermelon extract is used for reducing dark spots on the skin. Its natural healing properties and essential compounds including lycopene reduce dark spots on face, neck, hands, and feet.