And why is it customary to go to the cemetery on this day
On May 3, Orthodox Christians remember the name of Saint Theodore Trichinus, who spent his entire life in seclusion. He wore coarse monastic clothes made of animal hair, therefore he received such nicknames as Vlasyanichny and Trikhina. Also, May 3 is considered the day of remembrance of the deceased. It was believed that the departed yearn for earthly life, so on this day it was necessary to establish a connection with them, having come to the cemetery. What, according to popular beliefs, needs to be done on the day of the call of the ancestors?
First of all, it is customary to visit cemeteries on this day. Earlier, in Russia, elderly women came to the cemetery in the morning and mourned their parents. The mourners said: “Parents, wake up, look around, and let us orphans amuse us with a kind word!”… On the day of the call, it was customary to set a rich table so that departed parents would make sure that their children were not starving. And before any business on this day, it was customary to read a prayer with the whole family.
Folk omens on this day
Heard thunder on this day promises a good harvest. If it rains, a lot of wheat will be produced this year. Seeing many fast-swimming fry in the river, the old-timers concluded that planting seeds in the fields and in the garden would be fertile.
It is believed that on May 3, sea buckthorn traditionally blooms, and poplar buds break. On this day, the peasants planted cucumbers, beans and pumpkin – it was believed that the seedlings planted on Fedor would actively grow.
What is forbidden to do on May 3
On the day of memory of ancestors, there are several prohibitions, breaking which, you can bring trouble on yourself. So, according to ancient signs, was prohibited:
- To go fishing… Catching fish while actively throwing eggs was considered a sin. Those who disobey such a prohibition were threatened with Vodyany, who would drag him to the bottom;
- Remembering the dead parents, do not visit their graves in the cemetery… However, if there is no such possibility at all, then it is necessary to remember the ancestors at the evening table and distribute sweets to the neighbors;
- Cover the table with a dirty or torn tablecloth… The tablecloth should be white, and the salt shaker and bread should be placed on the table. Such a ritual is believed to bring prosperity;
- Put cutlery on a plate criss-cross. It was believed that this way you can attract unexpected death to your home. If the instruments were folded in this way by accident, you must cross yourself three times and read “Our Father”;
- Transmit to another person thread with a needle… Such an innocent act, according to the ancestors, meant only one thing: someone would remember a person with swear words;
- Sleeping husband and wife under different blankets. Otherwise, the spouses will be waiting for a long separation, they believed in Russia.
Name days on this day are celebrated:
Alexander, Gabriel, Gregory, Nikolay, Fedor.