Everyone loves a particular model of car and owns it. However, many people are just a fan of purchasing their favourite car and not taking care of it. Your car too needs maintenance with time, especially each and every part must be inspected and taken care of. Your car parts can wear out with time and require a change. Therefore, buy automotive parts from a certified company to enhance the life of your vehicle.
Cars batteries are another important feature, just like your phone’s battery is. It provides the zap your car needs to keep rolling, which is why you need to focus on the battery change too with time.
Before I present you with the battery maintenance tips, you must know the average car battery life- It usually lasts between 2 to 5 years. However, the longevity of the battery’s life usually depends upon the external factors and the way you maintain it. Batteries can drain in scorching heat when the engine is already on high heat under the hood. The fluids can evaporate and damage the internal structure. Regardless of the weather, the way you keep it plays an important role too.
Tips to Enhance the Life of Car Batteries-
1) Keep a check on acid levels- You must inspect the acid levels of your battery after every six months since they can hit low when the battery isn’t charged to the maximum or the level is below eighty per cent. If the battery in your car is stratified, the electrolytes will settle below, leaving the top starved. Such cases lead to immediate power consumption, damaging the car system.
2) Add water carefully when required- If you feel that the plates are being exposed, it means that the electrolyte levels are falling in your battery. To keep the count high, pour distilled water carefully in the cells either with a funnel or sports bottle. Keep pouring until the plates are completely submerged. Once you have finished pouring water, recharge the batteries.
3) Keep the batteries tightly fastened- Loosely fitted batteries can vibrate every time you drive your car, and this may lead to internal damages and sometimes a short-circuit. Therefore, it is important to fasten the batteries and keep the terminals tight and intact, significantly if you regularly drive on the bumpy roads.
4) Clean the batteries- Dust and debris can get into the minute parts of the batteries and settle there, causing corrosion on nearby metal. They can jam the functioning of the batteries. Therefore, if your batteries are in poor condition and cannot be treated further, buy new batteries for your car else you can use ammonia-based windows cleaners to clean the top and sides of the batteries.
5) Test the batteries often- You must test the batteries to know their state. If you want to enhance their life, test the batteries output voltage level by conducting a battery load test. The test can be conducted by calling a mechanic. It is to ensure that the batteries can charge properly without any issues.