Biking is undoubtedly an effective way to lose weight, but can you also lose weight by stationary biking? A leisurely bicycle ride along with the beautiful scenery is indeed a refreshing experience. But it only sometimes gives the desired result, mainly if you are biking at a low speed.
Moreover, only some people are comfortable going too fast on the bicycle and sweating outdoors. In this case, stationary biking is the most favorable alternative to working out and losing weight.
Calories burn out with Stationary Biking.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Calories burn out with Stationary Biking.
- 2 Benefits of Stationary Biking
- 3 1. Weight Loss
- 4 2. Augments Cardio Fitness
- 5 3. Decreased Cholesterol Level
- 6 4. Low-impact Workout
- 7 5. Strengthens legs and lower body muscles
- 8 6. Safer Alternative
- 9 7. Improves Balance
- 10 8. Increase Breathing Capacity
- 11 Practical Tips to Lose Weight with Stationary Biking
- 12 Conclusion
Stationary biking is an effective way of burning calories, and according to Harvard Health Publishing:
- A person whose weight is 155-pound and cycles at a moderate intensity for 30-minutes can burn 260 calories.
- On the other hand, a 125-pound person can burn out 211 for the same time and intensity
- And a 185-pound person can quickly burn 311 calories simultaneously and in power.
For an average adult between 18 to 64, the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends a daily work of 30 minutes.
Benefits of Stationary Biking
Stationary biking has become popular in recent years at homes and gyms. If done correctly, stationary biking can be a great workout.
Here are some main benefits of using a stationary bike:
1. Weight Loss
Using a stationary bike can burn around 40-80 calories in just 10 minutes. This burnout depends upon your body weight, duration of exercising time, exercise intensity and heart rate. Additionally, it is an effective way to shed fats from your body, particularly the lower body.
A stationary biking workout helps you burn more than 600 calories an hour. Hence creating a calorie deficit, which is vital for weight loss.
2. Augments Cardio Fitness
Cycling, as a whole, is an effective way to get your heart pumping. It increases your heart rate and allows your heart muscles to work harder to fulfill the oxygen demand.
Aerobics or cardiovascular workouts, such as stationary biking, help strengthen your heart, lungs and muscles. In addition, it can also improve your overall health in many ways, such as:
- Enhanced memory and brain functioning
- Lower blood pressure
- Better sleep cycle
- Improved blood sugar levels
- Stronger immune system
- Elevated mood
- Lower stress levels
- Feeling more energetic
A study in the journal of the American Heart Association suggests that cycling or stationary biking prevents cardiovascular risks in middle-aged men and women.
3. Decreased Cholesterol Level
Exercise is an excellent way to promote good cholesterol and reduce bad cholesterol. Indoor cycling, stapled with a low-calorie diet, effectively reduces fat. It also helps in lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
4. Low-impact Workout
Stationary bikes offer a low-impact workout that uses smooth movements. For this reason, indoor biking is not challenging on the ligaments or the joints, unlike the other exercises. If your joints are a cause of concern for you, then the indoor bike is an ideal option for you, particularly for your knees.
Stationary biking is also an excellent alternative for people who have joint problems or need to protect their joints for health reasons. Furthermore, it is easy on your knees, hips, and other joints compared to other exercises like running, jogging and like.
5. Strengthens legs and lower body muscles
Using a stationary bike in your exercise routine can help strengthen your legs and lower body, notably if you add more speed and higher resistance.
The pedaling activity can help strengthen the following:
Moreover, it can tone the muscles of your back, core and glutes. It can also benefit your upper body muscles, such as shoulders, biceps and triceps if you use a bike with handles.
6. Safer Alternative
Stationary biking is safer than outdoor cycling because you don’t have to worry about traffic and road conditions. Also, you need not worry about pedestrians or bumping into other cyclists.
In addition, you can cycle at your convenience, any time of the day, according to your schedule. Besides, you also don’t have to worry about the weather, and you can cycle conveniently at a comfortable temperature all year round.
7. Improves Balance
Indoor bikes are beneficial for the elderly as there are much fewer chances of falling and fractures caused by them. These bikes are also helpful in improving balance because they are standing in one place, and you don’t have to encounter any bumps.
8. Increase Breathing Capacity
Exercise of any sort causes your heart to pump faster to supply more oxygen to your muscles. Hence it makes you breathe more quickly to get in more oxygen, which leads to increased lung capacity.
Practical Tips to Lose Weight with Stationary Biking
- Contrary to the common belief, it is advised to eat a little bit and sensibly before you ride to provide energy to your body.
- After the workout, eat a combination of proteins and carbohydrates, such as a pear with a small handful of walnuts. This will help replenish your muscles.
- Opt for interval training rather than exercising at a steady routine. This means keep shifting to different paces and difficulty.
- If you cannot pull a longer duration to exercise at a time, split your workout into two sessions. This will give you a realistic routine and encourage you to stick to the workout rather than quitting.
- Don’t give yourself a dietary-free pass, and eat whatever you like.
Remember, the key to losing weight effectively with Stationer Biking is to eat healthily and be consistent.
Also read How Do E-Bikes Work? All You Need to Know
Can you lose weight by stationary biking? Well, the answer to this is a big yes. Stationary biking is an amazing and effective alternative to outdoor cycling to lose weight. In addition, it is a convenient and safer alternative to outdoor cycling. It is equally suitable for losing weight, cardiovascular fitness and increasing lung capacity. Indeed, you need to do is to be consistent and eat healthy to lose weight.